What is South Shields 365?
South Shields 365 is a regeneration programme, which will create a sustainable future for South Shields Town Centre. It will provide lasting improvements to the Town Centre; developing the leisure and shopping offer, improving the way people travel and move around the town and making it easier for people to enjoy the Foreshore and Riverside.
It will help us achieve our aim of being the North East of England’s premier coastal resort 365 days a year.
What is going to go where?
Plans have been developed in association with Muse Developments that will transform the Town Centre.
- Construction is now complete on The Word, the North East Centre for the Written Word – a new cultural attraction of regional and national significance and a home to North East Writers – which is situated adjacent to the Market Place. The building also houses a new 21st century library and digital media centre. (Phase 1)
- Construction of improvements around the public realm on the Market Place is also now complete. (Phase 1)
- Construction is also complete for the increased parking provision on the once vacant land at Harton Quays. (Phase 1)
- A new integrated Transport Interchange (bus and Metro station) in partnership with Nexus is currently under construction off Keppel Street and part of the land at Fowler Street West. (Phase 2)
- A proposed new retail, leisure and cinema development, which will include a link through on the south side of King Street and parts of Chapter Row, Barrington Street and East Street. (Phase 3)